Bosch 36V Litheon Advantages

well, i dunno about lithium ion, but i can tell you this. if i put 20 gallons in my 4 cylinder honda civic, and some guy puts 20 gallons in his 8 cylinder truck my car will drive much LONGER than his. i will be able to drive much farther on the same fuel load. because my car is lighter and has better fuel effiecency. bigger isnt always better.
    the only advantage the bigger motor really has when it has to deal with heavy torque.
    so that arguement doesnt hold too much water with me.

Lithium batteries life are actually shorter due to heat. A new lithium technology called Lithium Polymer is better who knows what is in the various batteries?

Second anonymous,

Thanks for your input, but I’ve seen nothing to back this up. In fact, every test we’ve done here has the Lithium batteries running much longer.

Just take a look at cell phones – the old Ni-Cad had to be charged daily and the batteries lasted a year. Ni-MH needed charged every couple of days and the batteries lasted 2 years. Li-Ion need charged once or twice per week and you replace the phone before the battery now.

4. Bob E. says:

As far as the above data, it really only shows what we already learned in middle school shop class. More volts give more power. I don’t see how they proved that Bosch’s technology is better, they only showed that they have a bigger reserve.

the guy who posted the comment about gas in a 4 cyl vs 8 cyl needs to take some mech E classes – you actually run the 8 cyl at much less rpm (and geared up) and end up with a same fuel useage, unless you floor it… then you burn more… but the 4 cyl cannot floor it…

I suggest you google lios and learn a bit about energy density-

mmm four more cylinders of friction, I don’t think you realise how much energy is used up turning those extra cylinders, 8s can never compare to four cylinders for fuel economy!
    Anyway, I have looked at the new bosch 36v sds and wonder why you have to move the handle round to get the battery out, they can’t last that long! I have the milwaukee 28v sds and it is superb, it is better than my old hilti te15 corded sds!

I use 36V non sds hammer 36V bosch drill and it cuts masonry like butter. I swear its a good tool.. I use my dewalt sds 24V still since it runs very well. I havent ever had any problems with it drilling concrete for 3 years. One plumber i know only uses hilti 36V though . He puts alot of anchors in concrete to hold piping down. I own a Makita 24V sds drill and i use it mainly for chiselling and it does very well also. Most of the people at my work site seem to have dewalt 18v and 24v makita tools.

Seems to me that Makita’s competition is scared to go apples to apples with them! They are continually building heavy 36v & 28v tools and comparing them to an 18volt tool? Why? Build an 18volt and go head to head in real world tests and then you have a leg to stand on!

Hitachi and Milwaukee both build 18V Lithium. I see no fear there.

In fact, 28V Milwaukee came out first, so by your logic Makita was afraid to go head to head and built tools 10 volts lower to avoid it.

Makita makes great tools, but the 28V and 36V do some jobs that 18V aren’t built for, like rotary hammers, masonry, and sawing tougher materials.

Key to this discussion is understanding what engineering advantages lithium Ion has with respect to other batteries. The key is that Li-Ion can be charged and discharged many more times then a Ni-Cad or NiMH can however the life of Li-Ion is linked directly to its age weather used or not. Typically a reduction to 80% of original capacity is considered to be failure of a batery and most Li-Ion batteries reach this in a year no matter what you do with them or how you charge or discahrge them (within reason) So Bosh having a claim of longer life is fairly irrelevant becasue i can guarantee a user will not use the device minute by minute for months on end but is more likely to want the tool 4 years from now which it will not perform well at all.

Another note is that all Lithium Ion batteries have electronic protection circuits in them so I will simly have to call the claim that some do not bogus. It is not possible to have a safe condition without this the battery will overheat on charge and burst into flame without it no matter who made it or what sort of charger they have. In addition for regulatory compliance this is necessary.

Overall the Batteries are nice because they are light, generate very little heat if protected properly, and have flat discharge patterns.

The draw backs are the danger which requires the expensive protection circuits and the longevity. Essentially marketing people are not engineers so u need to understand what is really out there.

Oh course lithium batteries are better, how much? Is it worth the money? And it depends on what you are doing. I can use a 9.6v drill all day on 1-1/4in drywall screws. 36v drill might last all week but I wouldn’t, those things can get heavy. The lithium is a little lighter than even a 18v battery. As for the v8 and 4 cylinder engines, one is bigger than the other, that’s where the similarity ends. Gasoline is not like electricity, there is no fiction loss in a battery. Lets say a drill needs 2 amps to do a job. If you can 4 cells they have to put out 1/2 amp each. If you have 8 cells they only have to put out 1/4 amp each. Even if the cells aren’t the same size you still get a couple advantages. You can arrange them more freely and you can dissipate heat more easily. It more like hiring one big guy to move a 400lb safe or six little guys. They both get the job done and both cost about the same to feed but the little guys are going to live longer.