Toolbarn’s 2015 Barn Banter Tool Innovation Awards
Photo Courtesy of World Industrial Reporter
The end of the year is rapidly approaching and the web staff here at Toolbarn are counting up votes of your favorite tool innovations of 2015. Many tool companies are continuing to strive for innovation in order to help the average industrial worker or DIY-er make their jobs much easier.
The Toolbarn staff have compiled a list of tools that are up for the annual Barn Banter Tool Innovation Awards. If you already know what you want to vote for, click HERE to take part in the voting! Otherwise, before you vote see why these tools are turning heads all over the globe!
The Contenders for Your Favorite Bit Innovation
1.) DeWalt Right Angle Flex Shaft
The DeWalt DWARAFS is a 12” right angle flex shaft that can reach nearly any space. The little side handle gives you great control and the unit accepts any ¼” hex shank for big versatility.
- Rapid Load(TM) head for easy bit changes
- 90 degree head and flexible shaft reaches tight spaces
- 10x magnetic holding power on average vs DW2505 using #8 truss-head screw
2.) Makita 9/16” x 24” Hollow Socket
The Makita B-43337 is a hollow socket that is a great solution to fastening nuts that are either high above your head or that are on a threaded rod. It comes in a variety of sizes that will fit most jobs.
- Streamlines overhead fastening applications
- 12 point socket provides easy fitment over 6- and 12-point fasteners
- Additional socket length provides better accessibility to nuts in hard to reach places
The Contenders for Your Favorite Blade Innovation
3.) Diablo Steel Demon Reciprocating Saw Blade
The Diablo Steel Demon Thick Metal Cutting Reciprocating Saw Blade from Freud can demolish practically anything you throw at it. Its carbide tipped blades last 10 times longer than bi-metal blades and its Perma-Shield coating reduces heat.
- High performance carbide for greater durability and cutting performance in thick metal
- Enhanced carbide tip to blade connection for extreme impact resistance
- 1 in. oversized blade body for straighter cuts with less vibration
4.) DeWalt Laminate Cutting Blade
The DeWalt Laminate Cutting Blade has synthetic polycrystalline diamond teeth that provide 100 times longer life than carbide tooth blades. These come in both 10” and 12” sizes.
- 100 times longer life compared to carbide tooth blades
- Laser cut blade and body slots mean more accurate cuts
The Contenders for your Favorite Corded Tool Innovation
5.) The Metabo Flat-Head Angle Grinder
The Metabo Flat-head Angle Grinder has a low profile that can reach into angles down to 43 degrees. It’s powered by an 8 amp motor and features a tool free adjustable guard.
- Aluminum die-cast gear box for long life durability
- Electronic overload protection to protect the tool
- Power interruption protection to keep the user safe
6.) Skil Sawsquatch Worm Drive
Most scientists discounted the existence of the Sawsquatch, until Skil released this 10 ¼” monster of a worm drive.
- 51° bevel capacity
- Aluminum motor guard, magnesium upper and lower guards, magnesium foot
- 8-foot power cord
The Contenders for Your Favorite Cordless Innovation (1)
7.) DeWalt 20V Cordless Finish Nailer
The DeWalt 20v Cordless Finish Nailer is the first of its kind. Its brushless motor ensures a long service life and it shoots up to 800 nails per charge.
- Sequential mode for precision placement and bump mode for production speed
- Tool-Free jam release to quickly and easily clear nail jams
- Multi-functional LED lights for workspace illumination and tool diagnostics
8.) Bosch Wireless Charging System
The Bosch Wireless Charging system lets you charge your tools on the fly. Look for different holster options from Bosch to customize your set up.
- Unique cool pack design offers advanced heat conductive housing to keep battery cooler to live up to two times longer
- Integrated battery fuel gauge for fast and easy charge status
- Lithium-Ion battery will work down to -4°F
The Contenders for Your Favorite Cordless Innovation (2)
9.) Milwaukee Hole Hawg ½” Right Angle Drill
The Milwaukee Hole Hawg ½” Right Angle Drill is a great representation of their fuel line. Leave the cord at home without losing run time or torque.
- Provides constant power under heavy load to complete holes faster than corded drills
- Ensures optimal performance and overload protection to prevent damage to the tool or battery during heavy applications
- Provides superior pack construction, more work per charge and more work over the life of the pack than competitive batteries
10.) DeWalt Cordless Miter Saw
DeWalt’s Cordless Miter Saw is a very portable solution with all the features of its bigger brothers, but lighter, smaller and best of all…cordless.
- Utilizes 20V Max* Batttery Pack (DCB204) which provides on Average, 183 cuts of 2×4 Pine or 275 cuts of 3-1/4 Pine Baseboard
- Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 positive stops improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy
- Compact, lightweight design (31.6 bs.) allows for easy transport and storage
- Precise miter system and machined base fence support optimize durability and cutting accuracy
The Contenders For Favorite Wrench Innovation
11.) Wera Joker Combination Wrenches
The Wera Joker Combination Wrenches have ratcheting box-end and a unique open-end fastener hold function. Ergonomic handles and durable design make these top notch.
- Open-end fastener hold function
- Depth stop keeps open-end securely on fasteners
- High torque transmission capabilities, ideal pipe union wrench
12.) Crescent Drive Pass-Thru Adjustable Wrench Set
The Crescent Drive Pass-Thru Adjustable Wrench set is a set you’ve never seen before. Each socket fits either SAE or Metric and is a never ending deep socket.
- Manufactured of heat treated forged alloy steel for toughness and durability
- Angled tooth pattern on the pipe wrench jaw side provides extra gripping force
- Sockets work on 6-point, 12-point, square, E-Torx, spline and partially rounded hex fasteners
Contenders for Favorite Pliers Innovation
13.) Irwin Ergo Multi Long Nose Pliers
The Irwin Ergomulti Long Nose Pliers are the ultimate combination pliers. These are great for cutting, stripping, crimping and spanning. Wrist strain is reduced 63% by its angled design.
- Induction-hardened cutting edges cut ACSR, nails, screws and even piano wire
- Three-zone comfort grips are contoured for optimal cushion and control
- Integrated handle hooks equipped for Performance Lanyard system for safer elevated working conditions and easier retrieval when stored
14.) Knipex Pliers Wrench
The Knipex Pliers Wrench is a better adjustable wrench with faster sizing. Fit the tool quicker than ever, then wrench with a 10-1 lever transmission.
- Zero backlash jaw pressure prevents damage to edges of sensitive components
- Parallel jaws give a more solid grip; its design allows flexible adjustment of all widths up to the specified maximum size
- The ratchet type principle allows quick and easy tightening and release of all bolted connections
Contenders for your Favorite Measurement Innovation
15.) Bosch D-Tect120
The Bosch D-Tect120 can scan spot on up to 4 ½” in walls or floors. It detects water pipes, metals, wood and live cables. It’s powered with AAs or with the Bosch 10.8V system batteries.
- Never requires calibration
- Can detect in any direction
- Three modes see through more materials
16.) DeWalt Green Beam Line Laser
The DeWalt Green Beam Line Laser is great for most leveling and layout applications. Green lasers are easier to see and this model is more durable than ever. It takes either AA or DeWalt 12V batteries.
- 3x 360° line lasers for full-room layout
- Rear-mounted magnets allow for flush attachment to metal track and steel
- 50 foot range (red), 100 foot range (green)
Let your vote be heard! Which Innovation was your favorite?
We’ll post the results soon here on Toolbarn’s Barn Banter.